After the best part of a year using sites like Rated People (which found me a dodgy builder), and MyBuilder.com (which found me a good one), I have finally had some work done to Ty Crempog!!
Due to the terrible join between my square gutters and the neighbours OG gutters, the getter leaks whenever it rains (which as you can imagine, is quite a lot of the time in South Wales!). This leak soaks our party garden wall, causing damp in both of our dining rooms. In addition, there was a similar poor join out the front and insufficient ventilation to the attic space. So to resolve these issues, I formed a plan to replace the fascias and guttering, introduce a ventilated fascias, and resolve these details. With the work now complete, I have to complete a Trigger-related event to update my asset information.
According to the BRE BIM Terminology tool, a Trigger-related event is:
Response to a trigger and the reflection of the altered state of the asset in the AIM
In a previous post on GUIDs, I discussed Trigger-related events, detailed in PAS 1192-3, and what to do about them in my information model, creating what I called the ‘Sticker Rule‘. This sticker rule dealt with my own version of the Trigger’s Broom paradox, where I wondered if when I replaced a part of Ty Crempog, should it get a new globally unique identifier or GUID. I decided that new components need new GUIDs.
So then, by following the sticker rule and my Employer’s Information Requirements, I needed to update my graphical model by deleting the existing fascias and gutters and create new instances for their replacements. But what were they replaced with?
This led to a practical BIM problem:
How do I get my builder (who has never even heard of BIM) to give me good quality information to input into my information model?
Simple, I just asked them.
Now it would have been much easier if South West Fascias had provided me with a Product Data Sheet for the products being used. A product data sheet, such as those from goBIM by Cobuilder, would have provided me with all the information I needed in either an Excel or COBie format. A key advantage of product data sheets is that instead of me searching for this information (and being liable for its accuracy), the information could have been provided by the supplier, saving time and reducing my risk.
Anyway, as this was not something that could be provided, I asked South West Fascias for the product details for what was installed. They then provided me with details of the merchants and products that were used (AAC Weston for the eaves protection system, fascias, gutters and downpipes, and Travis Perkins for the dry verge system). This information was enough for me to find the products, and extract from these websites the relevant product information I needed.
Principally four sets of products were used along with their associated fixing and accessories:
- Eaves Protection System
- Fascia Board
- Dry Verge
- Guttering & down pipes
Eaves Protection System
To resolve the lack of clear ventilation in my attic, I opted for an Eaves Protection System (EPS). The EPS coupled with some boarding will allow me to preserve the attics ventilation strategy when I increase the insulation (to be seen in a future post!). Now the EPS is fairly cheap (£2.45 per unit) and small enough that I wouldn’t bother modelling it. Partly because of its value, as well as the fact that it wouldn’t really be seen at 1:50. So, to include information about the EPS without modelling it, I have added some simple product information to my roof’s ‘features’ property.
While I was having the work done I opted to have my timber fascia boards removed and replaced with new plastic fascias. At roof level, these were 150mm Fascia Boards, and around my bay 175mm Fascia Boards. I updated my fascia profiles in the graphical model to suit, and have included some basic information such as acquisition date, URL, and cost.
Note: I would have liked to include more information, but due to the way that system families work in Revit, many of the properties that are applied to the families wouldn’t appear. Luckily for me, these objects aren’t maintainable, so they don’t appear in COBie.
Dry Verge System
Part of the work was also to resolve an issue I was having with my verge, to resolve the poor detailing. The solution we agreed was to install a dry verge system. The system chosen was the Easyverge system, a series of interlocks pieces to create a watertight dry verge system as shown.
Now you would expect a system like this to be difficult to model (and it would have been). However, as my Responsibility Matrix within my BIM Execution Plan only requires a Level of Detail of 3, I am able to represent the system with a fairly modest profile.
Guttering & Down pipes
Finally, I needed up remove my existing guttering and down pipes from the graphical model and create new instances for their replacements. They were replaced with 68mm black round system to match other nearby houses. As my down pipes are not system families I was able to include much more information including South West Fascias‘ guarantee information, and contact details.
And there we have it. By having work done to my home, I have caused a trigger-related event to occur which has led me to update the asset information model that I maintain. This means that as my home is modified to suit my needs, I continue to have accurate information at my disposal to be able to make the right decisions about what to do next; Excellent.
Note: If you have any comments regarding how I represented these new products, then please let me know either on Twitter, or by commenting below.